Sunday, September 9, 2012

Project #1: The Cassette Tape Wallet


I thought this would be an epic fail. I thought the hot glue would peel off. I thought the plastic fat part of the cassette tape would be too bulky. I thought the wallet wouldn't hold anything. I guess that's what I get for thinking.

I know I said I was going to post this yesterday and I did have the project selected, but the boys had football (both lost) and my mom came for the weekend (bringing with her the most fabulous rack of ribs to grill) and I had to gather supplies for the fabulous cassett tape wallet (okay really just a zipper)!

My Mercedes actually has a tape player. The in-dash navigation slides forward and I have a tape player behind it. We have tapes: World geography songs, Les Miserable’s, The Life of J. Golden Kimball (the swearing apostle), and Tapes Jōb sent home of people he knew in Scotland on his mission. No one would let me make a wallet out of any of those. I went to Value Village in Redmond thinking I would find old tapes everywhere. Nope. Not a one. I called home asking Rob to look again through the attic. He found U2. Nope that one was mine. But Dallin; he found the perfect tape that I was willing to sacrifice for my first project: Bagpipes of Scotland. No words, just sixty minutes of bagpipes and the low hum that accompanies them.


I used the following web-site for the instructions (found of course on pinterest) http://diyfashion.about.com/od/diybagsandpurses/ss/Cassette_Wallet.htm It is classified as DIY fashion.  My 12 year old is really excited about his knew wallet but DIY fashion for an average American it is not! The site has virtually no instructions, only pictures of the ten steps.  It is cute and an easy Sunday afternoon activity that even my kids could have done!

1 comment:

Ali said...

LOL! Okay I'm so making one of these for a white elephant gift this year!