Saturday, September 22, 2012

Project #6: This is What I am Reduced to - A Secret Book Box


WARNING: While this blog is written primarily for me to document all my pinterest projects I do have 6 followers and do not want to offend them.  This post has naughty words in it.  I use symbols to block them but if a little bit of a potty mouth makes you angry- STOP READING, scroll to the link to see the project and skip my entry. Consider yourself warned.

I remind myself every day I am not working that there are benefits to not being in a full time contract: movies on Tuesdays, online backgammon, quilt shops with Katie and Anna, mowing the grass…and yes pinterest projects.  After making Dallin the tape cassette wallet I decided I needed to make something for Mason.  I saw on pinterest a secret book box; perfect holding the treasures and secrets of a ten year old boy.


The blogger on the site said she spent two evenings cutting the pages out of the book. REaLLY?! No way. I would have it done this afternoon.  I began cutting pages with my craft knife and at some point realized that at the rate I was going it would take four days to a week for Federal Tax Law to become a secret box.  Normally that wouldn’t be a problem but at some point, sitting alone in my kitchen, turning Jōb’s old law text into a lame craft project in a pathetic attempt to fill my empty day, I began to feel awful. 

Let me tell you I am a crafty person.  I have loved a good project but this one caused me to question and think differently. And cry.

Determined to finish I decided to take the bloggers advice and switch to a box knife.  I looked in the basement. No box knife.  I called Jōb at work and he said he had it sitting on his desk.  I was done crying and had moved onto angry and told him he was no help and it wouldn’t do me any good.  I would finish with the dull five year old Exacto.

In an attempt to be positive about my project and what I had accomplished that day Jōb tried to say something nice when he came home from work about the beginnings of the secret box. I spouted off with some comment about having to resort to this lame a@# sh@# to fill my day. Jōb left me alone with my project.

On day two the blade of the Exacto knife broke in half.  I had to swallow my pride and ask Jōb to bring home the box knife after all.  The project really did take two days and caused way more introspection than I wanted. 

Enough said. Mason loved it.  Move on to project seven please.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Well you sure have me laughing! Sorry you cried, those darn pinterest projects!