Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Inaugural Day Bash 2009

So, after an upsetting campaign season for Job (and the family), one that included a trip to Boston for fundraising, cottage meetings, and sign waving we scraped off the antagonistic bumper stickers and joined the nation in embracing our new leader and commander in chief. Our family began our festivities by our eight year old memorizing a passage of scripture that states, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers magistrates and in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law." Next we enjoyed a lovely cake given to us by friends, and settled in to watch the swearing in and inaugural address. As I watched the vice president stumble through the wording of his oath of office I thought for sure Obama, an eloquent politician and cunning public speaker, would do better. But no, he too fumbled through the most important words the leader of the free world has to declare to us as citizens after we (okay not me) gave him our money, our support and most importantly our vote. Then after his swearing in- the speech. The speech that I felt put every American in proverbial time out. In a speech that should have been uplifting and full of "hope" it was sad and depressing. He said we were "not responsible" fiscally. He said we were failing our children. He belittles our schools. He informed us that when decisions were tough we did not make the right choice. Where is the hope Mr. President? I pray the next four years go more smoothly than his first moments in office. I pray that the racial advances our country has made through this election continue. I pray he lives up to his promises and does not let the people of our great nation down. I'll tell you though, my expectations aren't too high to start with.