Sunday, September 20, 2009

Prostitutes and Peach Pie

when the prostitutes stole Job’s wallet after the purchase of our house in Delaware fell through, we stayed with the Laus. Dan Lau was to be our new bishop. We had never met them before and in fact they were on vacation when they heard about our “homeless” situation.  They offered us their amazing home without ever meeting us.  One of their friends met us on their doorstep with the key.  When they came home from vacation to meet the family of four residing in their lovely abode I was so nervous.  But they put us at ease and I felt like I was part of the family.  We were there about a total of three weeks until Job could get new identification and such.  We moved into a basement apartment just a short distance from them.  We stayed in Delaware exactly one year to the day before we high tailed it home, not really giving the place a complete chance or our best effort. 

This morning I made a peach pie.  It is Bishop Laus favorite.  His daughters made him one while we were there as a surprise after work one evening.  Sue Lau had ordered peaches from a farmer up in Lancaster county.  For some reason she decided to get other peaches from someone else.  Because it would be the right thing to do she drove to the first farmer (quite some distance away) and told him she wouldn’t be buying his peaches and to not hold them aside for her.  She also helped a friend with several small little ones can salsa.  The table by the end of the day was covered with beautiful jars of salsa.  The Laus son lived down the road from them a ways.  Rob had Job help him do some remodel work in his home.  I ‘m sure he knew as students we could use the extra money and more importantly Job needed a friend.  That is what made Delaware even harder; leaving our friends and family.  At Christmas I am sure it was them that left presents on our doorstep for the twelve days  before Christmas.  Among other things, we still have the Caesar Rodney ornament.  It is cherished.

In one week I canned salsa with a friend, ordered peaches from a local farmer, am in the process of retiling the basement, and like I said I have my first homemade peach pie in the oven.  I have been thinking about about the Lau family.  I can’t help but wonder if they remember us.  They made such a huge impact on our lives.  Our family is better because of them.  I miss their friendship and want to be more like the Laus.

No comments: