Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th- Enjoy your freedom

Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. I had always wanted to be married on the 4th but for those of you who know anything about the LDS religion knows that that can't happen. Our sacred houses of worship and marriage aren't open on the 4th (or any federal holiday). We were married in March. But I digress. I do absolutely love this country and the freedoms it affords us. I love celebrating our nation and its independence. My oldest son was in 2nd grade this last year and his teacher called me at home stating that our son had requested that the class president (who is assigned, not elected) be impeached for infringing on his first amendment rights. This other boy, who is quite the bully, had told my son he was not worthy to speak and since he was the president he would inform him when he could and could not speak. I was asked if I would talk to him about the inappropriateness of him wanting to impeach the boy. I told him I didn't think I would. His teacher asked if he really understood the first amendment. I assured him that he apparently did and told him next time he saw him he could also ask him to recite the preamble, and tell you ten new facts about our nations first president (He thought he was George Washington for a year when he was three. He even called me Martha and told his kindergarten teacher that his birthday was February 22). I wish everyone shared his enthusiasm for history and his love of all things American. He goes sign waving at election time, he marches in parades with congressmen, he goes to vote with us at all the major elections. He is getting ready to be a responsible citizen. Maybe he will someday impeach a president, better yet maybe he will be president. On a side note, Job helped his sister put on an amazing fireworks show (she is a pyrotechnician) and he has all his fingers! Lets only pray that he doesn't get sick from all the moose dogs he ate.

No comments: