Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Think My Green Thumb Fell Clean Off!

Yesterday I had a brilliant idea to take my boys to Lowe's and buy some plants for the front yard. I have avoided planting anything for the last couple of years because when I do the chickens just dig them up burrowing in the flower beds. We even skipped the veggie garden this year. Every year we would have the talk about how much work and responsibility a garden is and how a "family" garden can be amazing if taken care of. Every year the family garden was all about me dragging hoses and trying to scare away rabbits and deer while weeding the gourd patch (gourds grow abundantly in the vegetable garden after Job tilled in several plants one spring). I don't enjoy gardening. So this year when I announced no veggie garden there was little protest. Well, yesterday I decided I was bigger and smarter than any old chicken and could at least spruce up the front yard. The boys picked out some really pretty perennials and surprisingly talked me into buying them a lemon tree (it smells amazing and already has little tiny lemons on it that totally look like limes). I had an old flower bed that I was certain could be restored with twenty minutes of digging. After one hour of sweat and digging up rocks, roots, beetles and bricks, I quit. I had prepared about 1/3 of the flower bed and thought I might pass out. I was about to call a teenage boy and pay him to come finish it when Job called and said he would finish it after work! What a sweetie. Ironically I agreed just after all this that I would mow and weed the grounds at one of Job's work sites! What was I thinking!

1 comment:

Jen said...

i just got the email about this...love you to pieces!! your photo is beautiful!!!! xxoxoxoxoo